- What To Consider When Choosing The Best Base Layers For Hunting
- Reviews Of The Best Base Layers For Hunting
- Base Layers For The Top Under Armour Base 3.0 Crew Black
- 32Degrees Weatherproof Men’s Heat Crew Base Layer Thermal Top
- Icebreaker Merino Men’s Oasis Long Sleeve Crewe
- MERIWOOL Men’s Merino Wool Midweight Baselayer Crew – Choose your Size & Color
- Base Layers For The Bottom Under Armour Men’s UA Base 3.0 Leggings
- EU Men’s Compression Tight Pants Base Layer Running Leggings
- ColdPruf Men’s Platinum Dual Layer Bottom
- Carhartt Men’s Base Force Wicking Cotton Super Cold Weather Legging
Hunting is one of the most popular pastimes in America. It is also the activity that you can take part in all year around. It is worth noting that the tools and gear that you need to prepare for hunting in the winter will be different from hunting in the summer. One of the most important things that you need to prepare for your hunting trip is the hunting clothes, especially the base layer. The base layer needs to be capable of keeping you warm while ensuring the good air ventilation. The base layer for winter hunting needs different requirements from summer hunting. Take a look at our ultimate guide below for what you need to know to choose the best base layers for hunting.
What To Consider When Choosing The Best Base Layers For Hunting
The base layers for hunting can be classified into two biggest categories including the top base layer and the second base layer. Among those categories, there are a lot of options for you to choose from including the short sleeve style, the long sleeve style, the top base layer with hood, or the zippered options.
The choice of which styles you can use depend mainly on your taste. Keep in mind that some bases can be worn as layers alone. On the other hand, some layers should be worn as the base layer as always.
Hunting is a tough and challenging activity. You will need to buy durable equipment and gear to ensure that they can last for several hunting seasons. It is worth knowing that hunting in severe weather conditions will wear out your clothes, especially your base clothes quickly. You need to invest more money to choose more durable clothes. However, that investment will pay off in the long run.
As I mentioned from the introduction, it is critical that the base layer that you are going to buy is breathable. A base layer which is breathable and well-ventilated will ensure that you feel comfortable during your hunting trip. In the summer, a breathable base layer will prevent sweat from trapping inside. On the other hand, in the winter, a breathable base layer will keep you warm even it is freezing outside.
This feature is definitely what you should seek for when you search for a base layer when you go hunting in the winter. The warmth of the base layers depends on the material as well as the ability to retain the heat of these layers themselves.
There are many different types of materials of base layers that you can find on the market. Different materials are more suitable for different needs and requirements. Let’s look at the features of 4 most common types of materials:
If you go hunting in the winter, you need some kinds of materials such as merino wool. This material is capable of keeping your warm and blocking your sweat away. On the other hand, if you go hunting in the summer, you will need polyester or cotton. They are much cooler than merino wool.
Polyester is one type of synthetic material. It is cool enough for a summer day. It is also capable of keeping you warm and well-ventilated. One of the biggest strengths of synthetic material is that it has a quick-drying performance, more than any other materials. But it can stink fast, a feature that will give you out to some certain animals when you go hunting.
This material can be warmer than synthetic material. It is well-ventilated but can soak up moisture easily.
This is the least common type of material mostly because it is quite expensive. It is soft and comfortable on your skin. However, this material can become too hot in the summer and yet not warm enough in the winter.
The weight of the base layers is mostly influenced by the materials of these base layers. For example, synthetic material and wool can be more lightweight than merino wool and cotton. Cotton base layers can be lightweight or heavy, depending on how thick they are.
A lightweight base layer is more comfortable. It also provides you more flexibility. However, keep in mind that the more warmth you want your base layers to have, the heavier the weight of the base layers is. So choose these features wisely, think about your unique needs and the season which you will wear these base layers when you go hunting.
One of the most critical questions that you might ask yourself is how much you want to pay for the base layer. Of course, if you want a high-quality base layer which is durable and breathable, you need to pay a certain amount of money. If you want to go hunting for a long time, it is a good idea to invest in high-quality base layers that you can keep using over and over again.
It is worth noting that while you can easily find cheap base layers, you shouldn’t ignore the quality. There are a lot of base layers with affordable price tags and premium qualities that you can find on the market. Cheap base layers will make you feel uncomfortable and even feel sick. In the end, you will not be able to enjoy the hunting trip.
No matter what features and what materials that you want to choose when you go shopping for the base layers for hunting, make sure they meet the requirements of the temperature of the hunting season. You should also make sure that they are lightweight, well-ventilated, and comfortable to wear. Check how well these base layers are made and how easy it is for you to wear these base layers on and off.
Reviews Of The Best Base Layers For Hunting
You might be overwhelmed with thousands of options for base layers on the market. We make the process quicker and easier for you by picking up our most favorite top and bottom base layers for hunting.
Base Layers For The Top Under Armour Base 3.0 Crew Black
This top base layer features the Raglan sleeves, flatlock stitching, and ergonomic seam placement. It weighs 7 ounces. The materials of this top base layer are 93 % of polyester and 7 % of elastance. It is available in black color with sizes ranging from small to xx-large.
- This top base layer features the unique and advanced Under Amour Block anti-odor technology and the Signature Moisture Transport System. As a result, you don’t have to worry that your scent will startle your target animal.
- It is soft, smooth and comfortable on your skin. Also, it is capable of retaining heat and ventilating air well.
- The 4-way stretch fabrication of this top base layer ensures that you can have the perfect fit for It allows you to move around easily as well.
- This base layer has a quick-drying performance, which can be washed both by hand and with the washing machine.
- It is a little bit heavier than other pieces of top base layers (However, keep in mind that it is one of the warmest top base layers and it comes with a thick insulating layer)
This top base layer is suitable for you when you go hunting in the mild to cold days of the year. It is also suitable to wear when you go ice fishing or any other water activity.
32Degrees Weatherproof Men’s Heat Crew Base Layer Thermal Top
This thermal top is made of 37 % of acrylic, 34 % of polyester, 25 % of rayon and 4% of spandex. It is available with two options of colors including black and grey. This top base layer features the long sleeves, flatlock stitching, and ergonomic seam placement
- This top base has a quick-drying It is easy to clean as well.
- It is well-ventilated while still capable of keeping your body warm and retaining heat well. It is one of the most adaptive pieces of base layers as it can be worn in any weather.
- Also, this base layer can wick moisture well and prevent odor from developing inside your body when you have to go hunting on a hot day.
- It is well made of high-quality material and solid stitching lines.
- This top base layer is available in size small only.
You can wear this base layer under a shirt for a hot to mild summer day or under a jacket for a cold day.
Icebreaker Merino Men’s Oasis Long Sleeve Crewe
This top base layer is made of 100 % of Merino wool. It is available in 34 options of colors including black, brown, red, and green. You can choose various sizes ranging from size Small to xxx-large. This top base layer features the long sleeves, flatlock stitching, and ergonomic seam placement
- There are a lot of colors for you to choose from. Whether you like a dark color or a bright color, you can find your favorite here. Not only that, there is a wide range of sizes for you to choose from as well.
- It has the unique design a drop tail hem to add more coverage to your body and prevent your body from getting cold more effectively.
- The offset shoulder seams can help to prevent pack rub effectively while the flatlock seams could prevent chafing.
- It is not as good at ventilating air as the other top base layers you can see on this list.
This top base layer is suitable for you to wear in the cold to coldest winter days.
MERIWOOL Men’s Merino Wool Midweight Baselayer Crew – Choose your Size & Color
This top base layer is made of 100% all natural superfine 18.5-micron Merino. You can choose various sizes ranging from size Small to xxx-large. There are four options for colors including black, charcoal grey, grey and navy. This top base layer features the long sleeves, flatlock stitching, and ergonomic seam placement
- This top base layer is made of the most high-quality material which is soft and comfortable on your skin. It does not irritate at all.
- While it is capable of keeping you warm, with the 250g/m2 weight of Merino wool, this base layer is very lightweight.
- It is easy to care for this top base layer. You can choose either to wash it by hand or with the washing machine.
- Last but not least, this Merino wool base layer has all of the features that you can find in a high-quality base layer including the natural moisture wicking feature, the anti-bacterial, and odor-resistant features.
- It is on the high end of the price range when it comes to top base layers
You can use this top base layer when you go hunting on the coldest days of the year.
Base Layers For The Bottom Under Armour Men’s UA Base 3.0 Leggings
This pair of leggings is made of elastane and polyester. It is available in black color ranging from a size small to size XXX-large.
- This base layer is made with the unique and advanced technology from Under Amour which is the UA Base 3.0 to bring a warm yet lightweight pair of leggings.
- The interior of this bottom base layer is soft and capable of keeping the hot air insider to keep you warm all of the time.
- More importantly, the 4-way stretching material ensures that you have the perfect fit for the leggings and find it easier to put it on and off. Not to mention that with the fully stretching leggings, you can move around with the highest level of mobility.
- The Moisture Transport System of this pair helps to wick moisture away to keep you cool all of the time. Along with the anti-odor technology, you can stay cool and odorless all of the time.
- This bottom base layer is more expensive than most of the other bottom base layers that you can see on this list as well as in the market.
This pair of leggings is suitable for you to wear in a hot or mild-cold hunting day.
EU Men’s Compression Tight Pants Base Layer Running Leggings
This pair of legging is made of 85 % of polyester and 15 % of spandex. You can choose among six different options of colors and camo pattern. The available sizes of this pair of leggings range from size Small to size XXX-large.
- This pair of leggings can be cleaned and dried easily and quickly.
- With the option of camo pattern, you can choose to wear this pair of leggings as a base layer or a separate outer layer.
- The stitching lines are flatlock seam to provide a soft and smooth feel on your skin.
- One of the biggest strengths of this bottom base is that it has the compression fit to support your muscles and enhance the circulation around your leg’s areas.
- It has a thick layer of insulation to keep your legs warm and retain heat effectively when the temperature drops down outside.
- This bottom base layer is not so breathable and well-ventilated. You might find it irritating when you have to wear it for a long time in the hot summer days.
- It runs a little bit small in comparison with other pairs of base layer leggings of the same size on the market.
You can consider buying this bottom base layer when you need a pair of leggings to wear insider your trousers when you go hunting in a mild to cold winter days.
ColdPruf Men’s Platinum Dual Layer Bottom
This pair of pants features two layers- the outer layer is made of 70 % of polyester and 30 % of wool while the inner layer has 100 % of polyester. You can choose among three different options of colors including the black, white, and grey option. The available sizes of this pair of leggings range from size Small to size XXX-large.
- Like other high-quality bottom base layers, this pair of pants is made with the advanced Coldpruf Technical Fiber Polyester with SILVADUR Intelligent Freshness. It means that this pair of the pant will not develop odor and keep your legs cool.
- While it is capable of keeping your cool, the Merino wool outside is super effective in retaining heat and keeping it warm for you when the temperature drops down.
- The two layers of this base bottom layer can help to trap and ventilate air between two layers to provide you the highest level of warmth and comfort. Not to mention that these layers help to prevent odor from developing effectively.
- It is super soft and comfortable on your skin, not irritate all thanks to the Ring Spun Yams.
- This pair of bottom base layer seems to be quite stretchy that it will become loose after a few hunting trips.
In case you are looking for a super stretchy and comfortable bottom layer to wear for a few hunting trips, this is one of the best base layers for hunting you can consider. It is better for you to wear in the mild to cold days and nights.
Carhartt Men’s Base Force Wicking Cotton Super Cold Weather Legging
This pair of legging is made of 100 % of cotton. You can choose between 2 options of colors, which are white and black. The available sizes of this pair of leggings range from size Small to size XXXX-large.
- With the premium cotton material, this pair of the pant is very soft and comfortable to wear. It is also super warm and capable of keeping that warmth for a long time as well.
- Moreover, it can wick moisture and prevent odor from developing just like any other top-rated bottom base layers that you can find on the market.
- The waistband of this pair of pants is superelastic. Also, the material of this pair of the pant is super stretchy. As a result, you can easily walk around with the highest level of comfort and flexibility.
- This pair of the pant is well-made with solid and reinforced stitching to ensure it will last for a long time.
- This pair of cold weather legging is quite heavy (it weighs around 1 pound).
If you need a super rugged and thick bottom base layer to go hunting on a very cold winter day, this option is ideal for your needs and requirements.
Choosing the base layers for your hunting trip might be difficult for any hunter if he or she doesn’t know what to look for. Overall, there are several factors that you need to consider including the type, the material, the weight as well as the breathability and durability of these pieces. I hope that with all of the guide and the reviews above, you would be able to pick up the best base layers for hunting trip. To ensure your utmost comfort for your hunting session, it is critical that you spend a lot of time researching before you make your final decision.