- Types Of Fishing Line
- Top Factors To Remember Before Buying Fishing Line
- 5 Best Fishing Line 2019
- Fishing Line Tips
If you are seeking for the Best Fishing Line, you might be a little bit disappointed to know that there is no definite best one for all types of occasions. Nevertheless, it is very important that you choose the most suitable fishing line regarding to the choices of bait, lure presentation and the fish you target.
Therefore, you should provide yourself with sufficient information about different types of fishing lines, the pros and cons of each of them and other key factors such as diameter and colors. With the right choice of fishing line, you would be able to improve your fishing performance and help you catch a lot of big fish.
This article below will provide you with such information, read on to learn more about these different types of fishing line and become more knowledgeable in this area.
Types Of Fishing Line
There are 3 main types of fishing line on the market at the moment, which are monofilament, braided and fluorocarbon fishing line. They all have own pros and cons as well as different features and characteristics.
Monofilament Fishing Line
Definition: Monofilament fishing line is simple a single strand of nylon or poly material.
When To Use: You can use this type when the fish you target weight from 1 lb to even as much as 25 lbs. You can also use monofilament fishing line when you fish near the river banks or small streams.
Monofilament line is suitable for anglers of all skills, especially beginning anglers. When you are in a tight budget, you can consider this type of fishing line as well.
Some knots you can use with this type of fishing line are Uni knot, Trilene and Palomar knot.
- With soft monofilament fishing line, you can apply mostly all kinds of knot styles without any difficulty or slippage.
- It is mostly invisible under water. Not to mention that you can have various choices of colors for different water types.
- This type of fishing line is suitable for beginning anglers as it is very flexible, which allows you to cast easily and prevent snap effectively.
- This type of fishing line is the least durable among other types of fishing line. It is so vulnerable against sun light, saltwater, chemical fumes and moisture. When you use it, you need to replace it once in every 6 months or so. Some brands of monofilament fishing line might lose one third of their original strength.
- It has memory – meaning that it takes shape of the reel it is spooled into or of the box if you store it. When you take it out, it cannot be straightened.
- Although most of the monofilament fishing line comes with decent strength, you need to use thicker line with higher diameter when you want the line to endure much more strength.
Braided Fishing Line
Definition: Braided fishing line is also known as microfilament line. It includes multiple strands of ultra high molecular polyethylene lines which are braided together.
When To Use: This type of fishing line is the most popular type for saltwater and deep sea fishing since it is durable against salt water abrasion and thin in diameter. When you are fishing for big and heavy fish, this is the fishing line you should use.
Finally, when you want to use a small reel with great line capacity, you can think of using this braided fishing line.
Suitable fishing knots are Uni, Palomar and Uni to Uni knot.
- It is strong with very decent strength. Not to mention that you don’t need to buy a thick line to have strength.
- It does not stretch easily.
- This type of fishing line is also very durable and can stand well against moisture, all kinds of water and UV rays.
- It does not brittle in cold weather, making it the ideal fishing line for coldwater fishing.
- It does not have memory, which makes it easier for you to change to different reels of different sizes.
- Most products of this type of fishing line are quite expensive.
- You might encounter difficulties when you tie different knots.
- It is also very visible to fish, especially in areas with flowing water.
Fluorocarbon Fishing Line
Definition: Fluorocarbon fishing line is the line made from a single strand of polyvinylidene fluoride, which is a specialty plastic with high purity and resistance.
When To Use: This type of fishing line is the most suitable when you use fly fishing techniques. In term of baits to use, it is good for fly fishing rigs and floating baits.
Fluorocarbon fishing line can be used in substitution for mono fishing line. However, it is not as strong as braided fishing line.
Thanks to its nearly invisible appearance, you can use it when you go fishing in areas with clear water.
FG and Improved clinch knot are very popular with this type of fishing line.
- Fluorocarbon fishing line is very thin.
- Don’t stretch much and is very strong.
- Come with low visibility, almost transparent.
- It is the most durable type of fishing line among these 3 types and can last well for several fishing seasons.
- Do not absorb water so the strength of this line stays the same under it.
- In order to tie fishing knots with this type of fishing line, you need to have certain techniques; otherwise, you might break the line.
- It is not suitable for spinning reels.
- It might have some forms of memory, although not as much as monofilament fishing line.
- Since it can sink very fast, you might find it harder to control than other fishing types.
- It is quite expensive.
Top Factors To Remember Before Buying Fishing Line
The diameter of a fishing line will impact other features of the line such as the stretch and the running depth of the baits. It also affects the strength of a fishing line.
If you want to have a stronger fishing line, you might look for one with higher measurement of diameter. However, it will be more visible to fish. Also with thicker line, you might not have full control over some types of lures such as crankbaits and jigs.
When you bring out a fishing line from its original packaging, it will be affected by the condition around it such as moisture and UV rays. Furthermore, when you use it for fishing, it will then be affected by the water and impacts with obstacles under water such as trees and rocks.
If you want to have a fishing line that lasts for a longer amount of time, you need to buy one which is abrasion resistant. However, a thinner fishing line is less resistant to outside condition than a thicker one, which you might as well take into consideration.
Visibility And Color
When you choose a color for your fishing line, you need to consider the condition of the water you mostly go fishing in as well as the depth of the areas where you go fishing.
For example, when you go fishing in areas with clear water, you should choose a fishing line which is as translucent as possible so that the fish cannot see it and won’t be scared away.
However, when it is dark (especially when you go fishing at night or dawn and dusk); you should use a line with higher level of visibility such as yellow so that you can see the line’s movement better.
The choice of color should be based on the type of your fishing trip- whether it is shallow fishing or deepwater fishing. If you fish in deep areas, you should choose fishing line with red color or its shades. This color is less visible under a certain depth.
When you go fishing in water with dense vegetation, you can use green fishing line to blend well with the surrounding areas.
When a fishing line has a great stiffness, it will be generally very strong. However, a stiff line can also have certain drawbacks as it is very difficult to cast and control.
You can choose the stiffness of a fishing line based on its diameter. Overall, the larger the diameter of a fishing line is, the higher the level of the stiffness it has.
Line strength, or also known as test, is measured in pound, which means how much weight it requires in order to break the fishing line. For example, an 8 pound test fishing line will snap when a strong fish resists with an amount larger than 8 pounds.
If you target big fish, you should choose a fishing line with higher number of line strength. However, there are still many other factors that will change the strength of a fishing line such as the time it is used, the knots and conditions of water. Your techniques in dragging also contribute to your success of catching big fish.
We have 4 popular choices of materials including nylon, Dacron, spectra and dyneema. Nylon is the most basic one with the least durability, strength and flexibility.
Other types of material are developed later on and hence they are better in strength with the same diameter. They are also more durable against harsh conditions, UV rays and other abrasive factors.
Braided line and fluorocarbon line are more expensive than monofilament fishing line. However, it doesn’t mean that monofilament fishing line is of lower quality. The choice of which type of fishing line to use depends on many other factors such as the conditions of water and the fish you are targeting.
Monofilament fishing lines are not varied much in price. The more expensive one might come with Teflon sealing, which promises to make the line last longer. However, there is no significant evidence that it will last longer over a long term.
5 Best Fishing Line 2019
This line can be used for almost all of the occasions. There are 4 colors for you to choose from including Camo, moss green, glow-vis green and hi-vis yellow. The diameter is about 0.005 to 0.032 inch. The length of the fishing line ranges from 125 yards to 500 yards. The line strength ranges from 6 lbs to 80 lbs. With Color lock coating technology and the line made from a Dyneema PE microfiber material, it is very solid and sturdy.
- This fishing line is made from Dyneema material, making it among the strongest and smoothest fishing lines you can find on the market.
- It comes with thin diameter and high sensitivity.
- Color lock coating technology helps to maintain the shelf life of this fishing line.
- Along with proper care and maintenance, it will last for a very long time.
- Zero stretch and easy to tie for a simpler, much better fishing experience.
- There is a small drawback as the fishing line tends to bunch when you cut through it.
Verdict: This is a very good fishing line to use when you want to buy a product to go fishing for a very long time. It is also suitable for you to go fishing in salt water and fresh water areas.
This type of monofilament fishing line comes with test line from 4 pounds to 30 pounds. The choices of length range from 100 yards to 2400 yards. The average diameter of this fishing line is about 0.008 inches.
- It helps you to cast with ease while providing you with decent strength and sensitivity.
- You can tie various fishing knots.
- It is very tough against abrasive elements.
- It is not so durable. Even after sitting on the shelf for a long time, the strength of the line will be decreased.
Verdict: This line is best used for beginning anglers in fresh water fishing. It is suitable for catching bass, trout and catfish. You can also use this fishing line for jerkbait lure and baitcasting reel.
This product comes with different options for different test line: from 2 pound to 30 pound test line. The average diameter of this P-line Floroclear fishing line is around 0.18 mm, which is relatively small. It comes with copolymer core and a fluorocarbon coating.
- It comes with strength and durability from very high quality material. It is more sensitive and does not absorb water.
- With the core copolymer, the strength of the knots is increased and the abrasion due to contact while knotting is decreased.
- The clear fluorocarbon color makes the line nearly invisible.
- Lastly, it has a very low memory.
- It is quite expensive.
- This fishing line is also very stiff.
Verdict: Both expert and beginning anglers can use this type. You can also use this line to target various types of fish such as bass and strippers. You can use it in both fresh water and salt water as it is less vulnerable to salt water.
My favorite application of this line is for spinning and bait casting, when I want to have the best bait presentation.
This monofilament type of fishing line offers 4 lb test to 60 lb test with the length ranging from 100 yards to 1125 yards. The color of the fishing line is clear blue monofilament.
- It has a really great ability to resist abrasion. In addition, this line comes with UV Guard ability that helps to build its durability against sun rays.
- You can type various types of knot with this type.
- It has small diameter of around 3 mm.
- Not to mention that it has the low memory for easy controlling and spooling.
- There is only 1 color of the fishing line for you to choose from.
- It contains lead.
Verdict: This is a very versatile monofilament fishing line, which you can use when you go fresh water fishing. With easy control and handling, it is very suitable for beginning anglers. Finally, since it comes with clear blue colors, you can fish with this line when the water is very clear.
The material of the product is 100% ultra high molecular polyethylene fiber.
This model of fishing line comes with many choices of colors including low- vis grey, moss green, ocean blue, red, yellow and pink. The length of the fishing line ranges from 3000 meters to 1000 meters. The test line ranges from 6 pounds to 150 pounds. The diameter is about 0.003 to 0.018 inch.
- With low memory, it could help you to straighten the line and spool it into the reel easily. In addition, you will rarely encounter backlash.
- It is very sensitive, and has little stretch, which will surely increase your fishing performance and increase your catching ratio.
- In addition, this product has a very good and lasting resistance against abrasion.
- Not to mention that it is quite cheap, in comparison with other brands of braided lines on the market.
- The diameter of fishing lines from this product is bigger than the diameter of other brands.
- The break strength is not as good as it is advertised. The real amount of break strength is about half of what it is rated.
Verdict: This type of fishing line is suitable for any angler who shops their line on a tight budget. As it is a very strong and durable line, you can use it to fish in an area with a lot of plants and other forms of vegetation.
Fishing Line Tips
After all, there are a lot of things that you need to pay attention when you want to buy a suitable fishing line. However, there are still many things you need to know such as how to care for your fishing line in order to make it last as long as possible.
Here are some other fishing line tips you should know:
- Experience is the key in order to master the techniques and skills. Therefore, you should buy a few products of these types of try them out to see which one serves your needs and preferences the most.
- Caring for fishing line is also important in order to prolong the life shelf of this product. You need to store it in dark cool area, away from direct sunlight with constant moderate level of humidity.
- Frequently, you should apply line cleaner on the fishing lines in order to prevent water from absorbing into it.
- Before each of your fishing trip, you need to check for any worn area in your fishing line and cut a part of it or change it completely to prevent missing out on any fish.
- When you tie a fishing knot in the line, you should do so when the line is wet. Wet fishing line can allow you to slide through it much more easily and also prevent significant damage on the line.
Anglers can choose from pretty much thousands of options although there are only 3 main types of fishing line (monofilaments, braided and fluorocarbon fishing line). There is no single best fishing line and your decision of what fishing line to use will depend on what types of fish you want to cast, the types of water, your fishing techniques, your lures and many other things.
If you are a serious angler who wants to master the techniques and gain full control of the rod and baits, you should never underestimate the importance of the fishing line. Any savvy angler needs to do his homework and research carefully for what choices are available to him before making the final decision.