- The Difference Between Ice Fishing Boots and Winter Boots
- Things To Consider When Buying Ice Fishing Boots
- Reviews Of The Best Ice Fishing Boots
- 1. Columbia Men's Bugaboot Plus III Omni Cold-Weather Boot
- 2. The Original MuckBoots Adult Arctic Sport Boot
- 3. Guide Gear Men's Monolithic Waterproof Insulated Hunting Boots 2400 Gram
- 4. Combat Boot, Mickey Mouse Extreme Cold Weather Boots, Waterproof Rubber, Genuine U.S. Military Issue
- 5. Baffin Men's Snow Monster Insulated All-Weather Boot
- What About Ice Fishing Socks?
Fishing is one of the most popular recreational activities in America. And lucky for those passionate anglers, we can go fishing throughout the year even in the winter. Fishing in the cold winter with the body of water fully covered in ice is a brand-new experience for many people. You need to be well-prepared for any fishing trip like that. The right equipment is the key to the success of an ice fishing trip.
Among the tools that you need to prepare, a pair of boots is the most critical item. It helps to help your feet warm, walk on ice easily, and ensure you have a pleasant trip. So how can you know your ice fishing boots are the best? Take a look at the guide below.
The Difference Between Ice Fishing Boots and Winter Boots
Many people might think that ice fishing boots and winter boots are the same. Well, they are definitely made to protect your feet, but they have different functions. And each of them will be more suitable for different cases. If you go on an ice fishing trip, don’t buy a pair of winter boots and think that it will be the same as the ice fishing boots. They are not interchangeable.
The main difference between ice fishing boots and winter boots is that ice fishing boots are waterproof. They can be used for you to walk on a slippery or wet surface. You can also walk in deep mud with some models of ice fishing boots as well.
With that in mind, ice fishing boots are made of rubber for the bottom and leather or nylon for the upper part. They also have the upper part which is slightly or well above your ankles. Ice fishing boots are also bulkier and heavier than winter boots.
Winter boots are capable of keeping your feet warm in the cold weather. Some of them are waterproof, some are water repellant and some don’t prevent water from getting inside your feet at all.
For specific purposes, winter boots are good to do in the normal winter days or when you take part in daily activities in the winter. On the other hand, ice fishing boots are used specifically for your fishing activities, especially when you go ice fishing.
Things To Consider When Buying Ice Fishing Boots
Here are few things that you need to consider when choosing a pair of ice fishing boots
This is definitely a must-have feature in a pair of ice fishing boots with high quality. Still, you need to pay attention to this feature to ensure that your ice fishing boots are totally waterproof. Imagine a case when your boots are not waterproof. And then water can get inside. It would be super cold, right?
The materials are the most important factor to make a pair of ice fishing boots waterproof. They need to be high-strength materials, including heavy-duty nylon or liner. In addition, the base of these ice fishing boots needs to made of rubber. The upper part needs to be pre-treated as well.
In addition, the design of these pairs of ice fishing boots needs to be waterproof as well. There should be no way in the construction of these ice fishing boots for the water to get in.
The materials are the key determinants of whether your ice fishing boots are waterproof and warm enough for your feet. In addition, these materials need to be durable to last for heavy-duty sessions.
Normally, the higher the price of a pair of ice fishing boots is, the more high-quality the materials of the boots are.
If you want to buy a pair of ice fishing boots and intend to use it for several seasons, you should aim for high-quality material, and of course, a more expensive pair of ice fishing boots.
When you go fishing in a body of water covered in ice, you may need to walk on the icy surface. And how can you walk on a slippery surface if the traction of your shoes is not enough? Hence, you need to buy a pair of ice fishing boots with good traction. These boots should have deep tracts for extra grip. They can also have spiked to ensure the high traction.
High-quality ice fishing boots are not only being waterproof but they also need to be able to keep you warm in the cold weather as well. You might want to look at the insulation of the ice fishing boots that you want to buy for this ability.
Once again, the materials of the ice fishing boost are the things that you need to consider for good insulation. Some materials such as rubber and synthetic materials with high-strength fibers are the best to provide enough insulation to keep you warm.
Ice fishing boots are also made with extra layers such as zylex, Thinsulate, and opti-warm, to provide extra insulation as well as comfort for you.
When you find the model of ice fishing boots that you like, you need to choose the right size.
The boots with the right size will make sure that you feel the most comfortable.
Just like choosing any model of shoes or boots, you should find the perfect fit by trying them on. You should go shopping for a pair of ice fishing boots in the afternoon or evening. Try them on and walk a few steps (with socks on if possible) to see if they are a good fit for you or not.
You need to make allowance for a pair of thick socks as well. When you go ice fishing, it is reasonable that you need to wear a thick pair of shoes for extra insulation and warmth. These socks are usually thicker than your average socks. Hence, make sure you find a pair of boots which can accommodate the socks and ensure you have the best fit.
You all know quite well that you need to find a pair of ice fishing boots which is durable. Durable and heavy-duty ice fishing boots will last for a long time and be worthy of your initial investment.
But how to choose a pair of ice fishing boots which is durable, you might ask. Well, there are several factors that you need to consider if you want to choose ice fishing boots which are durable. First, as I mentioned above, is the quality of the material. The more premium the material is, the more likely it is going to last for several seasons. You need to pay attention to the quality of the materials in order to find a durable pair of ice fishing boots. Moreover, you need to choose a pair which is made by a reputational and recognized brand in the ice fishing boot-making industry. This would ensure you can buy a good pair with a good construction to last for several years.
Weight and height
You should pay attention to the weight of the pair of ice fishing boots if you want to walk on ice comfortably, especially if you8 have to walk for a long time. Go for a lightweight pair if you don’t want to feel any burden.
In addition, the height of the ice fishing boots that you want to buy is up to your personal experience, whether you like a short or long pair of ice fishing boots. My best advice is that you go to some stores and try on some pairs of ice fishing boots. Walk a few steps on them to see if you like the weight and the height of them before you decide.
Reviews Of The Best Ice Fishing Boots
Here are our top picks of the best ice fishing boots that you can have a look at. Each of them has its own pros and cons. Keep in mind that the best ice fishing boots for someone might not be suitable for the other people.
1. Columbia Men's Bugaboot Plus III Omni Cold-Weather Boot
If you are looking for a pair of ice fishing boots from a famous and reputational brand name, Columbia should probably your first choice. They have been manufactured high-quality outerwear for years. The ice fishing boots from them are made of leather and textile for the upper part and rubber for the boot. Other materials include leather, nylon, webbing, and metal hardware. The shaft measures approximately 7″ from the arch. There are 3 options of colors for you to choose from including black, charcoal, and squash.
- These ice fishing boots are made with the Omni-Heat reflective lining with 200-gram This amount is sufficient to keep your feet warm enough in the harsh conditions.
- The boot is well made with the waterproof seam-sealed construction.
- The midsole is super lightweight and comfortable with a high energy return for you to easily walk on these ice fishing boots for a long time.
- Last but not least, the bottom of these ice fishing boots is made with the Omni-grip non-marking traction to prevent falls and slips on icy surfaces.
- These ice fishing boots tend to run a bit smaller than other models of ice fishing boots on the market.
2. The Original MuckBoots Adult Arctic Sport Boot
Its Main Features: Here come other ice fishing boots which are among the best sellers on many online sites. These ice fishing boots are made of rubber and fabric with rubber. The shaft measures approximately 14 inches from the arch. The heel measures about 1.25 inches and the platform is about 0.75 inches.
- First of all, they feature the 5 mm CR Flex-Foam neoprene which is waterproof and comfortable. It is also shock absorbent and very flexible, allowing you to walk on the tough surface easily.
- The inner fleece lining is very soft and durable. Along with the 2mm of thermal foam under footbed, these ice fishing boots can retain heat well and keep warm even when the temperature drops down to –40 degree Celsius.
- In addition, the outsole is made with rugged molded lugs for increased traction on any slippery and uneven terrain.
- The materials of the boots are highly durable and long-lasting. They are also very lightweight and comfortable for your every movement.
- Not to mention that there are thickly padded tongues to add extra comfort and support for your movement.
- Last but not least, the EVA contoured and molded midsole are well-made for increased support.
- The boots are slightly narrow in the calf.
3. Guide Gear Men's Monolithic Waterproof Insulated Hunting Boots 2400 Gram
Its Main Features: Are you on the hunt for a pair of ice fishing boots which can deliver its promise of keeping you super warm when you go ice fishing? Then you will be surprised at how well this pair can do its job. One of the best and ultra ice fishing boots that you can find on the market. This pair of ice fishing boots comes with 2400 gram of insulation. The upper part of the boots is made of suede leather combining it with 900-Nylon. They are available in Mossy Oak color.
- First of all, these ice fishing boots have the most amount of insulation. Hence, they are able to retain heat and keep your feet warm enough in the cold weather.
- These ice fishing boots are well-designed so that they can adjust to the contours of your foot to resist blisters and chafing.
- The rubber outsole is super grip, which allows you to walk comfortably and prevent slips and falls effectively on the icy surfaces.
- The mesh lining is moisture-wicking to prevent odor from developing inside your feet.
- The EVA foam is removable for added comfort and flexibility.
- With 2400 gram of insulation, these ice fishing boots are slightly heavier than other types of ice fishing boots that you can find on the market.
4. Combat Boot, Mickey Mouse Extreme Cold Weather Boots, Waterproof Rubber, Genuine U.S. Military Issue
Its Main Features: Since the establishment of the brand, the founders have promised and delivered the promise of always using US imports in order to make US-brand products. If you want a genuine US military and high-quality product, you should consider this model of ice fishing boots. These ice fishing boots are made with rubber sole and leather upper part.
- This pair of ice fishing boots is made with high-quality and innovative technologies including the vulcanized outsole and waterproof rubber with fused gusset tongue.
- The biggest advantage of these ice fishing boots is that it comes with a vapor barrier insulation with the valve. With this technology of an air pressure release vale, you can have the most comfort when you go into an area with a high altitude.
- In addition, these ice fishing boots have a quick release buckle and strap system. As a result, you can easily take the pair on and off.
- The bed is padded with extra cushioning to provide you with extra support and high energy return for your movements to be lighter and more secure on slippery
- Besides a well-made construction, this pair of boots is made of tough and long lasting materials that are capable of retaining heat and waterproofing.
- This pair of ice fishing boots is slightly more expensive than other models of ice fishing boots that you can find on the market.
5. Baffin Men's Snow Monster Insulated All-Weather Boot
Its Main Features: If you are looking for a super adjustable ice fishing boot, take a look at this pair of ice fishing boots. These ice fishing boots are made of synthetic for both the upper part of the boots and the soles. The shaft measure about 11 inches from the arch and the heel measures about 1.5 inches. They are knee0-high boots with bungee-chord speed lacing system and adjustable circumference.
- These ice fishing boots are highly adjustable with adjustable calf strap and adjustable ankle straps
- with hook-and-loop closure. With such adjustments, you can have the most perfect and comfortable fit.
- The most significant feature of these boots is that they have8 layers of materials combined together to form an extra thick and highly insulated boots to keep your feet warm in the coldest winter days
- These ice fishing boots are that the sold and the midsole are molded into the base altogether to form a continuous construction. This design ensures the ability to retain heat and prevent water from getting inside effectively.
- Finally, with the hybrid design and the leading molding technology as well as the foam-based inner boot system, you can easily walk on these boots with a high level of flexibility.
- These ice fishing boots are not as soft as other leather-made ice fishing boots.
What About Ice Fishing Socks?
Besides high-quality ice fishing boots, you also need to prepare some pairs of ice fishing socks as well. They are the extra layers to provide warmth and support for your feet. There are 3 types of socks that you should consider including the waterproof socks, the heated socks, and the fleece socks. Each of these types is suitable for more specific needs.
You should consider this type of socks if the area where you are going fishing is extremely wet or if you intend to go into the water. It would add extra protection in case your ice fishing boots are not enough to prevent water from getting inside.
If you care a lot about the warmth that you can have in a fishing session, or in case you go fishing in an extremely cold day, a pair of heated socks helps to add extra heat.
Last but not least, provided that you aim to have extra softness and flexibility for your movements, fleece socks could be able to meet your needs.
No matter what types of ice fishing socks that you choose to go with your fishing boots, make sure that you can choose socks which are made of high-quality materials. These materials need to be tough and durable. They should be warm enough to keep your feet warm. In addition, they should be well-ventilated and moisture-wicking. Keep in mind that the thickness of the socks would also determine your boots’ fit.
If you like ice fishing or want to take part in an ice fishing trip, it is important that you buy for yourself a pair of ice fishing boots. Don’t settle for a pair of normal winter boots. They wouldn’t be able to protect your feet from water and coldness as much as the ice fishing boots.
There are several factors that you need to consider in a pair of ice fishing boots. Durability, waterproof ability, insulation, and size are just a few factors that you need to think about. I hope with the reviews of the best ice fishing boots on the market above, you will know the criteria of the best ice fishing