- What Is Thumb Release?
- Benefits of Using Thumb Release?
- Finger vs. Thumb Release
- Things To Consider When Choosing The Best Thumb Releases
- Reviews Of The Best Thumb Releases
- How To Use A Thumb Release Effectively
When you go for a bow hunting trip, you would like your bow and some arrows. But that is not all. There are quite a few tools on the market that can help you improve your hunting and have the best shots. You should know that sometimes the differences between a missed shot and an on-target shot is just about a few millimeters.
One of the most common hunting tools that can improve the accuracy of your shots is the thumb release. It is the most popular release aids thanks to its ease of use and high performance. If you want to buy one to improve your shots for the next hunting trip, take a look at the reviews below for the best thumb releases for hunting that you can find on the market.
What Is Thumb Release?
There are different types of release aids that bow hunters can use. They would use different trigger mechanism.
A thumb release, also known as the handheld release has its unique trigger mechanism by which you use your thumb to pull and trigger. Another type of release aid, the finger release, on the other hand, uses the index finger.
Benefits of Using Thumb Release?
Does a thumb release help in improving shot execution? This question is probably one of the most popular questions that you see many people asking when they look for a release aid.
In fact, a thumb release can help in developing and improving shot execution. Nevertheless, you need to improve your bowhunting skills to see the positive impact of the thumb release. For example, if you have target panic problem, the thumb release can’t help you to avoid this problem.
Also, many bow hunters, both at the beginning level and advanced level, agree that the thumb release provides a high level of sensitivity. As a result, the bow hunters using the thumb release mechanism will shot more accurately.
Last but not least, you can easily hang the thumb release to the string loop. That is the reason why when you need to take a quick and unexpected shot; you can quickly use the thumb release.
Finger vs. Thumb Release
The main difference between the finger release and the thumb release is that the finger release uses the index finger to trigger the mechanism while the thumb release uses the thumb finger.
You can choose the finger release or the thumb release, depending on your unique tastes. Some bowhunters claim that the thumb release is more sensitive and convenient to use. On the other hand, some bowhunters prefer the finger release as they think that this type of release provides more powerful shots. You can try them both to see which one is more suitable for your unique needs and preferences.
Some other benefits of a finger release are that t can stay connected to your wrist. It hooks to the string easily, and there is no way you can lose it while you go hunting.
On the other hand, a thumb release wouldn’t require a wrist strap like the finger release. Most of the thumb releases on the market have heads that can rotate around for your most comfortable angle of shooting.
Things To Consider When Choosing The Best Thumb Releases
Here are some of the most important features that you need to consider when you search for the best thumb releases to buy on the market:
When you search for any hunting equipment, not only the thumb release, the noise level is one of the most important features that you need to pay attention to. Of course, they all need to be quiet and produce as little noise as possible. After all, you don’t want to make a noise and startle your target animal, right?
The thumb releases tend to make a soft click when you pull the trigger. Some of them also make a noise when you adjust them. Make sure you go for a thumb release which is quiet or even capable of producing no noise at all.
Since most of the thumb releases on the market don’t weigh too much, many people might ignore this factor when they choose the thumb release to buy. However, keep in mind that the slight difference in weight can become a burden if you have to hold your bow for a long time. Besides, the weight of a thumb release can affect the angle of your shots as well as the torque of your arrows.
If you know that you can’t handle a lot of weight for a long time, it is better for you to go for a lightweight thumb release.
Most of the thumb release on the market weight 4 to around 7 or 8 ounces. You should always for the thumb release of these weights. If your thumb release is very lightweight, it might be not strong enough for you to have steady and powerful shots. On the other hand, if the thumb release weighs more than 8 ounces, you will find it super hard to hold your bow in the most balanced way.
There are two main types of thumb releases that you can find on the market when it comes to the finger grooves. They are the 4-finger groove thumb release and the 3-finger groove thumb release.
Different people have different preferences of the finger grooves. For some, the 4-finger groove thumb release is firmer and more stable. On the other hand, many bowhunters think that the 3-finger groove thumb is much easier to get a hold of. You should also think about the size of your hands and your fingers as well.
My best advice for you is to come to the store and try to get a feel of those thumb releases on sale. Check how comfortable you can feel when holding these thumb release as well as how deep the grooves of these thumb releases are. Make sure that the groove tracks couldn’t cut into your skin. Otherwise, when you hold the thumb releases for a long time, it might cause blister and irritation to your hands.
Prices of the thumb releases that you can buy on the market can vary a great deal. If you know how much you are willing to pay for a thumb release, you will be able to narrow down your search quickly. The choice of how much you want to spend on a thumb release depends on two things. The first thing is how much you can afford. The second thing is how long you want to use your thumb release.
A thumb release which is made from high-quality material to ensure its durability will be more expensive. Still, if you go bow hunting for a long time, your investment will be worthwhile in the end.
On the other hand, if you want to try a few thumb releases to see which one is the most suitable for you, or if you want to use one for a short time, you can go for a cheaper thumb release. There are many thumb releases which low prices and decent quality that you can find on the market.
It is worth keeping in mind that no matter how much you are willing to pay for a thumb release, you should always go for one with decent or high quality. Only when you buy a quality thumb release can you see the positive impact it has on the accuracy of your shots.
Reviews Of The Best Thumb Releases
After trying a lot of thumb releases with different designs and features, I come up with some of the best models on the market. They all have their features, pros, and cons. Check them out to see which one is the most suitable for your unique bow hunting needs and levels.
1. Tru-Fire Hardcore 4 Finger Revolution Archery Release
This thumb release is made with solid aluminum handle. It features the 4-finger groove style with the single claw design. This is available in black and camo pattern. It weighs 6.4 ounces.
- The head of this thumb release can turn on 11 ball bearings for 360 degrees to adapt to different needs of your shooting angles. Not to mention that the 11 ball bearings ensure the smoothest head rotation.
- It can be used by both left-handed and right-handed bow hunters.
- This thumb release offers you a great amount of adjustability. For example, the trigger knob can be set in 16 different positions. The trigger tension and the travel can also be easily adjusted.
- The lanyard makes it easier for you to hang the thumb release for quick and unexpected shots.
- It is simple to use with the similar mechanism like some wrist strap releases.
- The cord of this thumb release is a little bit thinner than other types of thumb releases. Consequently, you might encounter snapping.
- The groove is a little bit shallow, making it more difficult to get a stable hold if you have big hands than average.
This thumb release is suitable for bow hunters of any level. If you want a bow thumb release with a lot of adjustments to try on, you can also look for this model. This thumb release is also an ideal choice for any bowhunter who wants to switch from using a strap release to a thumb release.
2. Carter Enterprises Wise Choice Release 3 Finger
This thumb release features the 3-finger groove style. This thumb release has the self-closing caliper jaw as well. It weighs 4.8 ounces. You can choose from several options of colors including black, pink and red.
- With its design of the self-closing caliper jaw, this thumb release is very sensitive and can trigger quickly and easily. As a result, you can put most of your focus on your anchor points of better and more accurate shots.
- The set screw tension is very easy to adjust. Also, with its own Allen wrench, you can easily choose whether to stick inside the key or not.
- The index hold design brings a firmer and more comfortable grip, especially for people with smaller hands.
- With the cord attached to the thumb release, you can have quick access to the device when you want to have a quick and unexpected shot.
- Weighing only 4.8 ounces, this thumb release is one of the lightest in weight and most compact in size when compared with other thumb releases on the market.
- This thumb release is a little bit more expensive than other types of thumb releases that you can find on the market.
- It might not be a great choice for any hunter with bigger hands than average.
This thumb release is worth considering if you want to buy one with the 3-finger groove design. Also if you are seeking a premium product with durability and high-quality material, this one is worth considering.
3. Hot Shot Vapor 4 Release, Black
This bow thumb release features the caliper style with a handle grip made from plastic. It has the 4-finger groove design. This model is available in black color with orange finger groove. It weighs 4.8 ounces.
- With the self-closing, this thumb release makes it easier for you to hang it to the D-loop.
- It is very quiet with the zero noise internal actuating system.
- There are a lot of adjustments for the tension and the thumb release as well. The thumb barrel is fully adjustable so that you can have various ways to mount the device.
- The finger placements are spaced most properly. As a result, it can have a snug fit for both people with smaller and bigger hands.
- This thumb release doesn’t come with a head that can swivel for 360 degrees. As a result, you might not be able to shot with the angle that you are the most comfortable with.
- It doesn’t have as many levels of adjustments as in other high-quality thumb releases that you can find on the market.
Provided that you are in the search for the most affordable bow thumb release, you can consider this Hot Shot Vapor 4 model. Also if you want to buy an effective thumb release with a little adjustment, this option is good to go.
4. Stan Perfex Thumb Release 3 or 4 Finger Silver, Large
This bow thumb release is available in silver color. The core of this thumb release, as well as the finger extensions, is made of aluminum. It weighs 6.4 ounces
- One of the most significant features of this thumb release is that you can change the 3-finger groove design and the 4-finger groove design.
- The finger extensions can be moved within a 35-degree range.
- This thumb release also comes with the innovative ProfeX Thumb activated short neck release aid to support you to have smoother and more accurate shots.
- With its solid construction and well-engineered system, this thumb release is one of the quickest thumb releases.
- While having a relatively compact size, this bow thumb release is one of the heaviest thumb releases that you can see on this list.
If you still don’t know what you want in a thumb release- whether you want a 3-finger groove design or the 4-finger groove design, you can try this model to see which design is the most suitable for you.
5. Tru Ball Max Hunter Pro 4 Release
This bow thumb release features the caliper style with a handle grip. It has the 4-finger groove. The handle of this thumb release is made of aluminum. There are two options of colors for you to choose from including the solid black and camo pattern. It weighs 3.2 ounces.
- This thumb release is highly constructed to meet the requirements of the advanced and intense bow hunters.
- It is quiet when you use it.
- The thumb trigger on this release can be adjusted to the level of sensitivity. If you wear a thick pair of gloves, you can adjust this trigger to which level that you feel most comfortable with.
- The head can swivel 360 degrees so that you can easily adjust it according to your shooting angle.
- It is a lightweight and compact with solid construction.
- The jaws are a little bit stiff, especially when you have just used it.
- The jaws also need to be frequently oiled otherwise they will keep open.
This thumb release is suitable for bow hunter of medium and advanced levels. You can consider this thumb release if you like the 4-finger groove style or if you have no difficulty in gripping this release. In case you want to buy a high-quality thumb release which is inexpensive.
How To Use A Thumb Release Effectively
When you spot your target and know that you need to take a shot, the tension between your shoulders will start to build up. During this step, target panic problem can arise. Hence, you need to keep calmer.
Use your release hand to push the trigger against your thumb. You can either rotate or twist the release hand.
After the trigger comes in contact with your thumb, the arrow is released.
It is worth noting that using a thumb release will not help you much with the target panic. Even if you can find the best thumb releases on the market, you need to deal with that problem on your own. You need to improve your bowhunting skills constantly. When you improve your shots, you can become calmer when it comes to quick and unexpected shots. As a result, you can eliminate target panic.
It is a little bit difficult to learn how to use a thumb release effectively. However, after practicing a few times, this process of using the thumb release shot will become a more much natural process. When you improve other skills of your bow hunting, you will start to use the thumb release easily and have more accurate shots.
No matter what level of bow hunting skills you are at the moment, a thumb release will help to enhance your shots. Or put it in another word, a thumb release can help you to have more accurate shots. It might take you quite a while to learn how to use a thumb release effectively, but it will be all worthwhile in the end.
In case you are searching for the best thumb releases, make sure you consider the most important features including the noise level, the weight, and the finger grooves carefully. I hope all of the information above will tell you more about the thumb release and help you pick the best one quickly.