- Top 10 best Survival / Hunting Knife reviews
- 1. Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion Blade Knife (Fixed)
- 2. Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife (Fixed)
- 3. SOG Specialty Knives SE38-N Force Knife (Fixed)
- 4. ESEE 4 Black Knife(Fixed)
- 5. RAMBO III MC-RB3SS Sylvester Stallone Signature Edition 18-Inch (Fixed)
- 6. Buck Knives - Buck 110 BRS Hunter Knife (Folding)
- 7. Columbia River Knife and Tool M16-14SFG Special Forces (Folding)
- 8. Kershaw Shallot Black Knife (Folding)
- 9. Spyderco Delica 4 (Folding)
- 10. Cold Steel Espada (Folding)
- Step-by-Step Guide for Choosing the Best Hunting Knife
- Things to Keep in Mind when Choosing the Right Hunting / Survival Knife
- FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
To begin with, I want to ask you a question. How many times in your life did you deal with a particular situation which you have to say to yourself: “Damn! Having a knife right now is very handy.”?
Personally, at the first time I said this to myself, I decided to own a best hunting knife or survival knife. Survival knives are vital tools for defending yourself and thriving in the wilderness. The importance of this item is understood from the ancient time while our ancestors have always carried knives to protect themselves from any dangers and to help them when hunting. No one is too tough to the wilderness.
Otherwise, the world today is surrounded by many global problems such as catastrophes or terrorism. And when these emergency situations happen but you are alone and your survival depends totally on a weapon, it should be a knife. It does not need any supplies or ammo to operate and it is very durable even while using in rough environment. Moreover, this type of knife is much more useful and practical than any others, and the cost to buy and maintain it is reasonable.
I know you are just like me, a Hunter, maybe you already have your own Hunting Bows or Gun, but anyone can be faced to the situations which need help from hunting or survival knives. Anyone can accidentally be a victim of natural catastrophes or be stuck inside a crashed car on a lonely road. In these situations, do you want to have a good knife or just want to test your luck?
However, it is not an easy task to choose best hunting knives or survival ones on the market today. The differences in mechanism and design make their quality become not equally. To help you who are new to this type of tool, I will give you some best survival / hunting knife reviews .
Top 10 best Survival / Hunting Knife reviews
Normally, they have 2 types of design: fixed and folding one. Each of them suits to a typical using style. If you want a knife which does not become too exposed, be free to bring along to any places, works well with daily tasks, you should go for folding knives. On the other hand, if you want a knife which can be equipped fast in any circumstances, be strong enough for any tough environments, works well with more difficult tasks and easy to clean, just go for fixed knives. Below is some interesting recommendation for both of them.
1. Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion Blade Knife (Fixed)
Ka-bar is a conventional brand which was famous for knives and are chosen in service by most members in service branches of US army. This one is not an exception. This is a typical fixed knife of this brand with the measurement is 10.5 inches in total length and the net weight is just 1.5 pounds so it is very convenient for you to bring it along during your hunting trip or for self-defense. According to the manufacturer, this knife is tested with their highest standard for durability and quality, especially for the blade. So you should feel more confident when having one of them as companion and protector.
The blade which features a drop point shape is made of 1095 cro-van steel which assures the durability of it. Moreover, 20-degree edge angle is featured on this blade for optimizing its ability in each stab and cut, or splitting, skinning and chopping during hunting trip. The handle is easy to grip tightly and because of being made of Grivory, it is also quite comfortable while using for any outdoor games. While purchasing this knife, you are also earned a sheath which is made of glass-filled nylon protect and maintain the sharpness of the blade.
- Measurement: 18 x 5 x 5 inches
- Net weight: 1.5 pounds
- 1095 cro-van steel blade with drop point shape, 20-degree edge angle
- Grivory handle
- Glass-filled nylon handle
2. Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife (Fixed)
This is the result of the co-operation between survival expert Bear Grylls and Gerber brand. It is very suitable for any survivalists with load of useful features. The dimension of this tool is 10 inches in overall length and 4.8 inches in length of the blade. The net weight is 14.7 oz. with sheath and 11.2 oz. without sheath bring you a feeling of steady and firm when using. The one-half serrated blade is designed in drop point style with stainless steel finish. Moreover, it is made of high carbon so this blade is perfect for holding in edges or cutting cord.
The blade is also covered by a layer of glass bead to enhance its durability and protection against rust. The grip is made of rubber with ergonomic texture that can optimize the comfort and prevent any chances of slipping. The handle also features with stainless steel pommel for hammering. This knife also has an emergency whistle which is attached at the lanyard cord so you do not have to worry about finding way to signal others when you get lost. The compact sheath included is made of mildew-resistant nylon with military standard. It also becomes very useful while being applied some good features and tools, such as a fire-starter rod lock or diamond sharpener for instant sharpening.
- Measurements: 10” knife, 4.5” blade
- Net weight: 11.2 oz.
- High carbon stainless steel blade with one-half serrated and drop point style and glass bead finish
- Rubber handle with ergonomic textured finish, can hammer with pommel on the top
- Military standard sheath, diamond sharpener attached
- Emergency whistle included
3. SOG Specialty Knives SE38-N Force Knife (Fixed)
This knife from SOG Specialty Knives has a top quality which is assured by high quality thick blade in full tang, minimal grind design. Being made of AUS-8 steel and having hardcase black TiNi finish, its 6-inch blade is good enough to provide deep punctures with impressive speed and precision. It can easily cut through any things and shorten your time when working in any tasks. The black-finish grip with ergonomic texture provides a great balance and firm thanks to being made of durable, no-slip, scratch and impact resistant material like glass-reinforced nylon. It also fits well to your hand and provides a comfortable feeling when being gripped.
This product includes a black nylon sheath which features a nylon lanyard and hook-and-loop closure. Moreover, the included MOLLE attachment can help you to keep this tool safely and close to you in any situation. The overall length of this knife is 11.25 inches with a blade which has 0.24-inch thickness and the net weight is just 10.5 ounces. Additionally, any faults in manufacturing or material can be fixed with the limited service time warranty included.
- Overall length: 11.25 inches; net weight: 10.5 ounce
- Length of blade: 6 inches; thickness: 0.24 inches
- Blade is made of AUS-8 steel, has hardcase black TiNi finish with clip point shape
- Handle is made of high quality nylon
- Black nylon sheath, MOLLE attachment, lanyard and closure included
4. ESEE 4 Black Knife(Fixed)
This product from ESEE brand is actually not a best one, but you can still depend on it in any emergency situations with a firm confidence. The dimension for the overall length is 9 inches and the blade is 4.5 inches with length in cutting edge is 4.06 inches. The full tang blade is made of high quality black carbon steel and has a plain edge design which enhances the speed of puncture but makes the blade become more vulnerable than ones which have 2-blade design. In my opinion, because of this design, the knife is not good enough to be a weapon, just an assisted tool.
The pommel has rounded design with a lanyard hole featured on the top, but there is no lanyard hole included. However, you will feel very comfortable when gripping this kind of pommel. The material for the handle is black linen micarta, which assures its durability and comfort. This tool goes along with a black sheath which features MOLLE locks to help you keep the blade safely against any bad impacts and make it easily to carry.
- Overall length: 9 inches; net weight: 11.2 ounces
- Length of blade: 4.5 inches with 4.06 inches of cutting edge
- Full tang blade, made of carbon steel with plain edge design
- Rounded, black linen micarta pommel with lanyard hole
- Sheath with MOLLE locks
5. RAMBO III MC-RB3SS Sylvester Stallone Signature Edition 18-Inch (Fixed)
This is a design which I like most from RAMBO III brand. The first feature I want to mention is this one is not only an ordinary survival knife but also a collectable one. The reason is this knife is made with limited edition, with a number of 10.000 pieces on all over the world, with serial number engraved and Sylvester Stallone’s signature engraved on the blade.
However, this tool still does its work as well as a hunting knife. It has an outstanding look with the overall length up to 18 inches. The length of blade is 13 inches and its thickness is 0.25 inches. 440 Stainless Steel as the manufacturing material enables this one to have necessarily durability and effect for required tasks during hunting trips. The handle made of laminated brown hardwood offers great durability while still has a very attractive look. It also has stainless steel guard at the top which can act as a hammer when you want to smash. In addition, a lanyard can also be threaded through it to help you grip the handle more firmly.
The included sheath is made from top grain leather with leg tie which provide a vintage look for this. The purchase also contains a Certificate of authenticity and a Sylvester Stallone’s color art picture.
- Overall length: 18 inches; net weight: 1.6 pounds
- Sylvester Stallone Signature limited edition, only 10.000 pieces
- 13 inches length of 440 stainless steel blade
- Top quality wood handle and leather sheath
6. Buck Knives - Buck 110 BRS Hunter Knife (Folding)
Buck 110 Folding Hunter is one of the best models in this type of American brand Buck Knives. It really created a new standard for knife safety at the time it was born. Nail-notch lock back design of this knife offers not only the ease in opening but also safe while closing in any indoor and outdoor activities. The clip blade’s length is 3 ¾ inches and made of 420HC stainless steel, therefore it is large enough to deal with tasks that need much precision and detail, but still keep the compact design when folding for being attached conveniently on belt or pocket carry.
This is the 50th Anniversary celebrating version of this model. Different from original ones, all products in this version is made with Dymondwood wood-grain handle and polished brass bolsters included, which offers a vintage look for this knife. A line of word “1964 50 years” is also engraved on the handle so this model has a very high value of collecting. A genuine black leather sheath is included in this purchase and you are also supported by a life time warranty.
- Anniversary version of original 110 Folding Hunter
- 3 ¾ inches 420HC stainless steel blade with safety lock
- 7.2 pounds of net weight
- Natural wood-grain handle
- Genuine black leather sheath
- Specific identical feature with line of “1964 50 years”
7. Columbia River Knife and Tool M16-14SFG Special Forces (Folding)
Columbia River Knife and Tool brand brings us this high performance folding knife which was used by military all over the world. It is a strong, standard tactical knife which features dual grind blade with Tanto style finish. It can be armed and unarmed easily with a single hand as a result of great balance in the blade pivot. In addition, the surface is designed with rough finish to increase your ability to access it fast and firmly in any emergency situations.
The knife is covered by a layer of non-reflective tactical black paint, and the blade is specially protected by a black titanium nitride coat to enhance its resistance against corrosion. Being built with InterFrame technology, its mechanism offers an incredible strength and durability. The blade which is made of 420J2 stainless steel also assures the sharpness and accuracy for a long using time. This blade is held by 2 Carson Flippers which act as handles while it is opened. The AutoLAWKS Knife Safety technology, which turns this become a virtual fixed knife when it locks is also included, and a clip attached at the grip allows this knife to be carried easily on belts or straps.
- Overall length: 9.25 inches; net weight: 5.9 ounces
- Length of blade: 3.99 inches
- Each part is made of high quality material
- AutoLAWKS Knife Safety technology
8. Kershaw Shallot Black Knife (Folding)
This one from Kershaw brand is nothing but extraordinary design, powerful abilities and high quality stainless steel. The unique design of recurve blade offers low net weight but still maintains high performance. Additionally, the blade which is made of 14C28N steel tremendously enhances the sharpness and durability as well as resistant ability against corrosion and scar. The dual blade design, one which is smooth and another which partially serrated makes it become very useful in both daily and emergency tasks.
This special blade is hold by a sleek stainless steel handle which is designed to be gripped firmly. The material for this part which is known as 410 stainless-steel is also strong and tempered enough to provide the greatest strength in each cut. A frame lock is also included so you can feel satisfied while always knowing that the blade is in a secure position and never opens unintentionally. The basic version of this knife is coved with steely matte-gray paint in both blade and grip, or you can choose the black version, which is covered by a layer of black Tungsten Diamond-Like Carbon. The length of knife when it closed is just nearly 5 inches, so you can put it in your pocket without any difficulties.
- Length when close: 4 3/8 inches; net weight: 4.2 ounces
- Length of blade: 3 ½ inches
- Covered with Tungsten DLC black coating
- Safety lock included
- Included SpeedSafe assisted technology in opening
9. Spyderco Delica 4 (Folding)
This is one of the flagship products from Spyderco brand. Like other products in this brand, this one is pass all tests for extreme quality and durability so you can believe at its high quality as others from Spyderco when needed. The difference of this knife comes from the grip, which is colored with some coloring paint while still holding firmly the full-flat ground blade. The material for this part is mostly fiberglass reinforced nylon which offers the durability against rough environment as well as enhances the firm when holding it. Moreover, the slip resistant ability is also backed by Bi-Directional Texturing® technology, which is really helpful.
The framework which holds the handle is mostly based on stainless steel liners. It strengthens the knife without making it become heavier and has a parallel skeleton which acts as an anchor for inside or outside attachments and providing more firmness and durability. The full-flat ground blade which is made of VG-10 stainless steel features dual blade ability with thinner refined cutting edge in one side and a larger 13 mm hole for opening. A clip is also included which provides flexibility in attaching with 4 different directions.
- Length when closing: 4.25 inches; net weight: 2.5 ounces
- Length of blade: 2.875 inches
- VG-10 steel blade with screw included
- FRN Bi-Directional Textured® handle
- Clip included with 4 directions
10. Cold Steel Espada (Folding)
As a result from the co-operation of the knife maker Andrew Demko and Cold Steel brand, this product is not only a good quality knife as it should be but also special enough to appear in any value knife collection around the world. This is a perfect combination between traditional craftsmanship and contemporary technologies and achievements. Indeed, this knife offers a great balance and becomes ideal for cutting stabbing works with its upswept clip point blades.
Being made from sub-zero quenched and vacuum heat-treated Japanese 8A stainless steel and featuring a thin, well grinded cutting edge, they can surely cut through anything and become very useful in any emergency circumstances. To help your hand hold this masterpiece more firmly, the grip is made with the technology of pistol grip handle. It has curved design with multiple finger grooves, and also being backed by sub-hilt. Therefore, you can grip the handle perfectly in both forward and reserve position while still being earned equal ability.
The frame which is made of 7075 Aluminum billets by CNC machine not only helps decrease the net weight of the knife but also greatly enhances its strength and firmness. The durability of this material can be compared equally to Titanium and lengthen the life span of the product. The outside look of this knife is also taken care with the well-polished dovetailed bolsters and shiny black G 10 scales attached on both sides of the handle, and finally, safety is assured by multi-patented Tri-Ad lock.
- Overall length: 12 ¼ inches; net weight: 1 pound
- Length of blade: 5 ½ inches
- Japanese AUS 8A stainless steel blade
- Bolster and Frame is made of Polished G-10 and 7075 Aluminum, respectively
- Multi-patented Tri-Ad lock
Step-by-Step Guide for Choosing the Best Hunting Knife
The Local Laws
This is the first think you need to consider while you want to choose a knife. Do the laws where you live allow you to carry a hunting or survival knife? If yes, in which situation?
This is the second factor you need to think about. Although the size really matters, you will feel more comfortable while using a knife which is not big as a sword. Depending on your purposes to choose the appropriate size of your knife.
Next, understanding ability of each style of knife is vital. A folding knife will suit best to daily work or some easy task in the hunting trip, meanwhile the fixed one is best for hard and difficult task in hunting and survival situations.
Last but not least, after choosing your right knife style, you have to think about parts which create a good knife. 6 major ones are mentioned on the former part of my article, and you can depend on that to decide which suits to your need.
Of course, this is the last thing you want to know. A good quality knife never have a cheap price, you have to remember that. However, there are some several knives which have a very high price is made for collecting, and if you do not have much money or you are not a collector, you should not buy them because their expensive comes from their rare ability and customization, not the quality.
Things to Keep in Mind when Choosing the Right Hunting / Survival Knife
When choosing your first survival / hunting knife, there are several things you need to keep in mind beforehand.
1) A best hunting knife is not as good as being used in survival tasks and vice versa. From the facts that duties of hunting knives are skinning, boning, cleaning and dressing on-site while ones of a survival knife are making fire spots, shelters, cutting through tough and durable obstacles, hammering and many other tasks, you may do not want to break a good hunting knife for some survival missions.
2) Both types of knife can be chosen as a hunting knife if they are good enough but when it comes to choose a survival knife, please ask a fixed one. A folding knife may make you harm when folding even a safety lock mechanism equipped and can break because of not design for vigorous tasks.
3) A best survival knife have to be a strong, full tang and fixed blade one. It is created to take advantage in any emergency circumstance and complete difficult tasks during survival situations. Here is 6 major factors which made your ideal survival knife
- Tang: this is an extended part of the blade which is used to attach handles. As a solid steel bar, tang is like the backbone of the knife’s structure which creates strength for this tool. Therefore, it should go all the way to the end of the handle, or what we often call “full tang”, to assure the quality of a good survival knife.
- Handle: material can be varied from hard rubber to natural wood, but it should be covered by a layer of special nylon for protection from mildew, scar and environment. It also should have a lanyard hole. The more firmly you hold this tool, the better your task is handled.
- Blade steel: stainless steel or carbon steel can be used to make this part. Stainless steel can resist better against corrosion, but it loses the sharpness more quickly than the carbon one, so you need to choose wisely.
- Blade style: this feature mostly depends on your aim while purchasing a knife, such as straight or serrated blade depends on how easy you want to sharpen and which obstacle you want to cut through; clip point drop point, or tanto blade depends on the abilities you need with your knife: stable, speed or strength and so on. You have to follow your heart.
- Blade thickness and length: with knife, size matters. A small knife can easily hide and carry but will definitely meet some difficulties with tasks that need strength or big ones.
- Sheath: as a protected cloak for your blade, this part needs to be durable and comfortable. The inner surface also should be easy to clean or it can make your knife rusty.
FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions
What does the tanto blade deal best with?
This is the standard combat sharp which is curved enough to offer long cuts and strong focused thrusts. However, the sharpness and durability is enough to be used in other tasks.
Why is the blade not parallel to the handle?
There are some reasons for this. Oblique blade can help the grip in a better line position with the tip of blade, and as a result enhances the strength of the knife in stabbing. And the most important reason is the offset tang makes your handle become large for ease and comfort when gripping firmly, without increasing the weight of your knife.
How do I know whether my local authority allow me to carry knives or not?
It is quite easy. You just need to check for your local laws and regional legislation, or just ask the police if you want.
Do you have any recommendations for sharpening angle?
Normally, knives should be sharpened with the angle of 40 degrees (20 degrees in each), but it can be adjusted depend on the user’s requirements.
How do I sharpen my knives?
You can use a sharpen stone or any available sharpening systems. Just let the surface which need to be sharpen meet the sharpening tool in right angle which I recommend above, and push it forward and backward continuously when it reach the sharp level you want.
Do not use any belt sanders or bench grinder for this work or you will destroy the factory-sharpened edge.
And this is how you keep your knife sharp:
Above is some of my knowledge and recommendations for you to choosing your best Hunting Knife. I hope that my Survival / Hunting Knife reviews and Guide can help you make the right choice in some ways.
And dont forget to checkt out my other Hunting Gears reviews and Guide!